As a water and sanitation specialist working for Médecins Sans Frontières you will plan, coordinate, implement and monitor all water, health and sanitation (WHS) activities in the project, including, but not limited to: water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control.
You will work with medical teams to identify WHS needs, and make recommendations for response activities. This can involve providing technical support to the medical team in identifying possible ‘risk factors’ (e.g. behavioural practices, environmental sources of infection, and transmission routes) and offers solutions for infection control. You will also plan and review budgets for the WHS activities in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the mission and the targeted population.
Your skills in cross cultural human resource management and communication will be important, as the role involves providing technical support and coaching to staff under your responsibility.
All water and sanitation specialists are hired as logisticians. Médecins Sans Frontières logisticians come from a range skill sets and backgrounds: they are engineers, fleet managers, construction managers, architects, farm managers, project managers, and more.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Qualification in either hydrology, chemistry, civil engineering, geology
- Experience in any of: building wells and boreholes, water quality monitoring, pollution, waste management
- Previous experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works
- Experience in water filtration techniques
- Experience of WHS in Emergencies
- Public health background or experience
All Australian and New Zealand field worker applications are processed through our Sydney office.
- Refer to our benefits and opportunities for further information on how MSF supports you as a fieldworker.
- If you’re not yet ready to apply, register to receive updates from our Field Human Resources team including information on upcoming recruitment events.
- Watch our logisticians webinar that features water and sanitation specialist Jeanne Vidal, to find out more about this role and more broadly how logisticians fit into projects overseas.
Ready to apply?
Please apply if your skills and experience match essential criteria for working overseas, and the requirements for the role you're interested in.
Allow approximately 1 hour to complete to application.
Before starting the application, please prepare the following:
- Motivation letter