Field Communications Manager
Our Field Communications Managers bring the areas where we work to the world’s attention.
From documenting the health condition of displaced people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, to collecting testimonies of people on board a rescue boat in the Mediterranean, our Field Communications Managers play a vital role communicating about our patients’ needs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Defining the communications strategy for Médecins Sans Frontières in the project country, in collaboration with colleagues in HQ
- Managing our in-country communications including social media platforms where appropriate
- Maintaining close contact with key local and foreign media and actively promoting Médecins Sans Frontières content and facilitating media visits to projects
- Producing communications content for other Médecins Sans Frontières offices and advising on suitable communications tools according to objective, message and audience
- Managing, developing and supervising local Médecins Sans Frontières communications staff
- Producing a yearly communications budget to support identified and agreed communications priorities
- Acting as a spokesperson during emergencies
Field Communications Managers are usually based in the capital city of a project country.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Previous work experience of at least four years in communications, journalism or public relations
- Previous experience producing communications content for print and digital publication (written and photographic)
- Experience with Médecins Sans Frontières or other international NGOs in a developing context
- High level computer literacy (digital and social media platforms, multimedia and database management, MS Office Suite)
- Exceptional communication skills – written and verbal
- Experience in senior level networking and relationship building
- Degree in journalism, communications, humanitarian affairs, political sciences or related university degree
- Experience in videography
Please note: if successful to the interview stage, applicants will be asked to complete a written test.
All Australian and New Zealand field worker applications are processed through our Sydney office.
If you are ready to apply you can start an application using the link below. Allow approximately 1 hour and please have ready your CV and motivation letter.
If you’re not yet ready to apply, use the link below to register to receive updates from our Field Human Resources team including information on upcoming recruitment events.