Médecins Sans Frontières has specialized projects focusing on neonates and paediatrics and mixed projects with children of all ages. Your experience and skills working with children will determine the appropriate position for you either as a paediatric nurse, neonatal nurse or combined in a context where both skills are required.
Paediatric and neonatal nurses working for Médecins Sans Frontières work very closely with national staff who have experience in low resource settings if not specifically in paediatric or neonatal care. You will be supporting local staff in the upgrading of their skills. All our projects are supported by medical and nursing paediatric advisors and very clear guidelines and protocols.
In the field our settings vary greatly, ranging from high-capacity settings with CPAP and HFNC capabilities to more basic units with minimal possible intervention (O2 and IV therapy only). As a nurse working for Médecins Sans Frontières your training and supervisory skills will be utilised to the full. The roles you play may vary from setting up and managing a newborn or paediatric unit, providing clinical “hands-on” care for unwell or severely ill children and neonates, theoretical and clinical trainings on paediatric and neonatal nursing procedures and assessments or taking the leading on teaching and implementing cares such as Kangaroo Mother Care.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Qualified Nurse with experience in paediatrics and/or neonates considering:
1. Neonatal Nurses:
- Minimum of two years’ experience in Special Care Nursery, Newborn Unit or NICU
- Experience in neonatal resuscitation
- Experience in recognition and management of common neonatal issues such as prematurity, hypoxemia, and hypothermia
- Experience in identification of severe neonatal issues such as sepsis and asphyxia
2. Paediatric Nurses:
- Minimum of two years’ experience in acute medical/surgical paediatrics
- Experience in paediatric emergency management and resuscitation
- Additional and/or specific qualification in paediatrics and/or neonatal nursing
- Experience in additional areas –particularly NICU, PICU, Obstetrics, Paediatric Emergency Department
- Senior managerial experience (eg Clinical Nurse Facilitator/Consultant, Manager)Clinical education and/or training experience
- Work experience or study in nutrition, tropical medicine, refugee health or international public health
- French speaking
All Australian and New Zealand field worker applications are processed through our Sydney office.
Ready to apply
If you are ready to apply you can start an application using the link below. Allow approximately 1 hour and please have ready your CV and motivation letter.
If you’re not yet ready to apply, use the link below to register to receive updates from our Field Human Resources team including information on upcoming recruitment events.